Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

My Recent Reads

Thursday, June 1, 2023

Recent reads, a.k.a. books I've read during the first half of this year. I'm aiming to read at least 23 books for year 2023 and I really feel like I'm lagging behind... but hey, I still have time. Sharing with you my two cents on the books I've read so far this year!

 

On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong

I've always been curious about this book, as I used to see it in the bookstore alongside A Little Life. They both have gray covers, but I chose to buy A Little Life first for some reason. Perhaps I thought it was because I'll get to encounter this one later on, and true enough I did through one of my book swaps. There's not much going on plot-wise, but the prose is beautiful and easy on the eyes. It made me marvel at how I could be reading through the memories and experiences of an individual at its rawest form. I have a penchant for bittersweet stories and it is all the more delightful to read when expressed poetically. 


The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat by Oliver Sacks

A collection of case histories of his patients. I find it interesting especially as a psychology major as it refreshed my memory of concepts from psychology that have been buried for years after college. It's not the kind of book I'd finish in one sitting (I actually haven't!), but it sure does make a delightful read from time to time if you wanna be reading something. My interest in the human mind, its wonders and capacity reawakens each time I pick this up. 


Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

I love the Ghibli film, so I knew I was going to love this book as well. I like how I got to get a deeper insight into the characters' struggles. The character development was also very apparent. When I watched the film, I admit I focused more on the animation and the magical whimsical feelings it brought me, but it's in the book where you get to see the nuances in the characters' personalities and it made me appreciate them all the more. I love it when the character gets vulnerable, when they become self-aware of their shortcomings but strive to be better anyway. I also love it for the heroine, that she eventually grew to love and be more confident as her own person. 



The Nakano Thrift Shop by Hiromi Kawakami

The story revolves around the quirky thrift shop and the characters that run it. It's the kind of story I would appreciate after a long day at work because the events in the book just feels so random, as if anything yet nothing could happen. It also reminds me about the importance of our relationships with one another. The work may or may not be there, but the relationships and connections made will always be. I think I would consider it fortunate for an individual to be able to work in a good environment where colleagues are supportive and are willing to bring their authentic self into the workplace. This scenario is not always the case in real life, but.. if you find yourself in one, embrace the opportunities and treasure the connections made. 


House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones

I'm still reading this one, but it's one of Howl's Moving Castle's sequels. I'm enjoying it so far, seeing how there are new characters and smiling whenever I see Howl and Sophie's names mentioned from time to time. It's a new adventure of sorts and I'm feeling positive about the story so far. It's got the usual magical elements and of course I'm here for the development of our characters. 


My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh

Oh man, my expectations for this book!! 

My expectation: a relaxing, calming read 
Reality: depressing, reminds you that healing is a long process and you shouldn't escape from doing the hard work or else you face consequences

I'm glad I finished the book and I'm ready to move on to the next. 


Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

I love books that spans multiple life stages. The one wherein it starts from childhood until they grow up into adults. I also love seeing the ups and downs of the characters' relationships, how it grows and develops, how conflicts arise and how they resolve them. This was an enjoyable read and touches on many relatable themes. It also made me even more curious about gaming, and which led me to finally downloading a game I felt like, for the longest time, I would enjoy playing it (Stardew Valley on my PC LOL). I really recommend this book. :-)

---

What're your recent reads? I would love to hear your book recommendations, dear reader. 

2 comments

  1. You have been reading such interesting books! I got a copy of On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous and hope to like it too. I loved tomorrow x3! I do need to read Howl's Moving Castle and My Year Of Rest and Relaxation. I recently read A Room Of One's Own by Virginia Woolf and fell in love with her writing. Highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow x3 was a really good read! I'm so glad you shared about it on your IG stories :)

      Delete