Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Recent Loves in October

Monday, November 1, 2021

The season has changed at this time of the year as depicted in novels, films, songs, vlogs, and conversations I have with online friends and colleagues living either at the northern or southern hemisphere in this earth.

How's it like here in the middle? I'd say it's quite predictable, though we'd be pleasantly greeted by rain showers from time to time especially in the afternoon. While here at home, I'd usually wear t-shirt and shorts, or sometimes when I feel like dressing up, one of my linen dresses would be perfect. I lean towards airy and comfy clothing, those that I can step lightly around in. 

I've been looking forward to days when the temperature would go a bit below 30°C. I welcome each time a breeze passes through me whenever I go out on my brisk walking sessions. The drop in temperature is surely noticeable especially in a tropical country, and it's something I can easily appreciate. 

I've gone out a lot more last month since the covid cases have gone down. Once again, I'm getting used to going out to the mall, and doing some of the things I used to do and seeing the shops I used to step into. I would go to the book store, art store, then the bakery. I've been going out for more drives as well. Slowly buy surely trying to acquaint myself with activities I used to do so freely before, yet now I have to get used to again. This time I have to be mindful of socially distancing myself, wearing a mask at all times, and drenching my hands with alcohol. 

I somehow feel a thrill, like I'm doing things for the first time. I smile to myself and think how wonderful it is to be eating out again, or buying my favorite pastry in-person. It's kind of strange, but I remind myself that it's just the first time in a long while. Nevertheless, I'm embracing this feeling because although these are seemingly mundane little things, they've become a lot more enjoyable in this moment. 

Which is why, I'd like to share with you a bit of the small but certain happiness, the moments I've cherished in the month of October:

Painted lots on canvas

I did not join any art challenges for this year. I joined one last year, since I wanted to get better with oil pastels. This year though, I wanted to take my time. I managed to paint on canvas thrice, and it's all of landscapes and nature. These were all made after work, when all I wanted to do was watch colors blend through the white space. It's so easy to lose track of time while painting, and I realize that I love taking my time. Sometimes I don't even finish it in one go; I look at it again with fresh new eyes on the following day, just to see if there's anything else I'd like to add. I'm definitely in a different space when I'm making art, and I'd like to think this is my way of slowing down time.

Bought shiny new spectacles and phone

I'm very pleased with my new specs, and it's my first time to try one that has semi clear rims. I'm grateful to the shop's staff for being so accommodating and showing me all of their designs. I was also the only customer at that time, so I had their attention the whole time. :") 

I also bought a new phone!! I'm ready to retire my old one, which has been with me for almost 6 years already. This is actually my first time to buy an iPhone with my own money. I'm the kind of person who prefers to wear down an item before buying a new one, so I think this purchase was made at the right time. I'm ready to care for my new phone and make many new memories along with it. 

Practiced Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 

I've rekindled my love for classical music lately. I developed this habit of setting aside time during my lunch break to lie down on my bed and listen to my classical playlist. I'd set up an alarm just in case I fall asleep. This activity helps me clear my mind a lot, especially since I'm usually busy in the morning. 

One of the pieces that I particularly loved from my playlist would be Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 in E flat major. It's such a gentle nocturne where every note feels so heartfelt. Whenever I find myself enamored by a certain classical piece, I would search for the music sheet online and try to study it. I would then bring out my flute and try to play it. I can now add this on my roster of pieces I can play in full. 

Played badminton and went out for walks consistently


A good friend and I decided to play badminton every Wednesday. We decided on Wednesday because it's the middle of the week, and it's sort of like a celebration; we're acknowledging that we've already half way through the week, and it motivates us to keep going until the weekend comes again. We'd wake each other up by 5:30am, then meet at the court by 6:00am. We then would play as many games as we can till we drop! Then after that, I'd go home and start working. It's a fun routine for me, because I feel so energized right after; it makes me feel much better while working. 

The village next to mine opened their gate again. It was closed for quite some time due to the high number of cases in both our villages, but now it's more relaxed. I'm grateful because I get to see and stay in my favorite park again. It's the best park for me because of the trees and the birds. I've lived in this area all my life, but it's only now that I've learned to really appreciate it. I love how I don't have to go so far just to be surrounded by trees. It's my little forest of sorts!

Ate ramen


I have not had ramen since lockdown happened. I didn't order it online, nor did I dare venture out during the time when cases were high. This lunch date is worth mentioning because eating ramen again after such a long time felt like a thrilling experience.... it's funny, I think I might laugh at myself a few years from now if and when I get to read this blog entry again. 

In addition to ramen, dear Sher and I got to swap books as well. I love swapping books with friends, because it's like a piece of you is with them, and vice versa. I'd like to think that the books we read can say much about ourselves at the moment.


Shows and Films I loved:

Alice in Borderland (2020)

I've heard lots of good things about this series, so I tried it out and I surprisingly could not stop watching. The show would often keep you up on your toes because it would leave you guessing, and the whole system is such a mystery. You'd find yourself discovering something new together with the main character as each episode unfolds. After watching the whole thing, I'd say a season 2 is much needed! 

Squid Game (2021)

Squid Game has the same concept as Alice in Borderland. I won't compare both, since they're pretty similar, but I do understand why Squid Game has gained so much popularity. The games are much simpler and more straight forward, and there's just something about the circumstances of each character that would really tug at your heartstrings. I think the first season could stand alone on its own; I'm not sure what the next one would bring, but I liked it as it is. 

Hometown Cha Cha Cha (2021)

This is the ultimate feel good, comfy, subtle yet impactful Korean drama of the year. It's the one show I could unwind to after work. I like how there was no major conflict of any sort, and it just showed life as it is in the countryside. I'd say if ever there was any conflict, it would be within the characters themselves and we would see how they had to confront it eventually. 

---

How was October for you? Please do share with me, I would love to hear all about it : - ) 



8 comments

  1. Ate! I love your paintings, they are so dreamyy!!! Especially the one with the moon. I'm in total awe! <3

    I saw your IG story playing the flute. Very nice! I hope to see you play it somewhere, ha? :)

    Kai | Dilly Dailies (https://dillydailies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kai! :") I'm glad you like my paintings, and haha I mostly play flute for church now but I hope to share some clips on IG from time to time!

      Delete
  2. I love your paintings! I have never had ramen and I am really keen to try it. I'm glad October was such a good month for you. It was very hectic for me, with plenty of project submissions in uni. I'm glad the month is over haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Epsita! I do hope you get to try ramen soon. It's great that you were able to go through October despite the many deadlines, at least it was a productive one :) wishing you a great November!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new phone and specs! I'm not a glasses wearer, but I always see getting a new phone as somewhat of a turning point in ones life, like a old diary that's all filled up. It's a nice way to start afresh and make new memories :)

    I'm very late to the squid game and alice in borderland craze, but i'll get to it some day haha. Hometown Cha cha cha has been recommended for me for a while now but i never paid it any mind, but this little description gives me feel good autumn winding down vibes! I'm gonna give that one a go, thanks for the recs :)

    minae ♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your paintings are sooooo pretty! I love them! I find clouds so hard to paint, huhu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aah badminton, the only sports I will ever play and the only one I can play haha
    it's ages ever since I played badminton though (who am I kidding... I only played badminton in high school, and that was eons ago haha)

    I've said this before and I'll say this again: your paintings are so adorable! I love how pastel-ish and dreamy they are. you always know how to mix em colours ;)

    ack, you make me crave ramen now! I'm trying to not eat ramen for a month because my weight has increased 1-2 kg lately, yikes. the broth looks tasty though uwu I'm not sure what flavour that is, but if it's tonkotsu/pork bone broth, then it's one of my favourite ramen style.

    OMG YES I'M HAPPY YOU WATCHED ALICE IN BORDERLAND! I am in love with that show, but also because of the cast. I even watched it for more than 3x already hahaha I cannot wait for the second season, which is scheduled for release December of next year iirc.

    p.s thank YOU for not comparing AIB and Squid Game! I'm tired of people comparing and pitting the two against each other, lol (even though Squid Game's writer admitted that he took inspiration from multiple existing 'death game' Japanese films/series)

    always love to read your 'recent loves' posts. they really inspire me to keep on writing my 'good mood' series. it's almost like a motivation for me to always remember the good things that happened in a month, which is what I, as a person, rarely embrace.

    take care!

    x, Élise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, the last time I played badminton was in high school, but then since there's a court near my house, I figured why not play? Even though I suck but I am trying my best haha

      Thank you again Elise, I really appreciate your kind words on my paintings and they really do keep me going :") I don't eat ramen often and I enjoy it much more when with a friend.

      I remember reading about Alice in Borderland in your blog! I guess people can be inspired from one another, so it's fine to have two similar shows; I just would like to appreciate them separately as it both has its own take on things.

      Thank you for reading this series. I realize I haven't written any for November and December!!!! My bad. I'm still thinking if I should write a v belated one or just move forward. We'll see....

      Take care always, Elise :)

      Delete