Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Inspired By

Wednesday, March 18, 2020


There are times when I would chance upon something unexpectedly interesting, something I wouldn't expect to find while I'm in the office. A recent encounter would be when I was going through a CV of a certain candidate (I work in recruiting), I saw she included a link to her "portfolio". I thought it quite odd that she placed it there, since I didn't think it was relevant to her application, nor would it have any significance to the role she was applying for.

I clicked the link anyway out of curiosity. I was expecting to find a long list of her written publications for well-known magazines or journals, or perhaps a collection of photos from different parts of the world to show how well traveled she was-- these were all good and common things that I would usually see in portfolios whenever candidates would ever think of including one. We are living in a world which values achievements after all, and we have to impress whoever stumbles upon our works! Haha.

As the page finally loaded, I was greeted by a painting of a landscape. I scrolled down a bit more and saw that it was a portfolio of her drawings and paintings. There were drawings of children and people doing the most mundane of things, like taking a walk, eating, running around, and the like. I scrolled through them all until I reached the end. I gave another quick look through her CV. It was clear as day that her profession had no relation with the arts, yet she collected all that she made into one place, and perhaps she will continue doing so.

I like seeing art. Not just the ones framed in galleries and museums, but also the art that ordinary people create. I say ordinary because chancing upon this candidate's portfolio reminded me that anyone can make anything they like. We don't need to study in art school to appreciate and to enjoy making art. The mere process of creating something is already inspiring, all the more if it were shared with others.


And so whenever I get the chance to sit down, or I catch myself clouded with so many thoughts, I would decide that the best thing to do is to paint. It doesn't solve my problems, but it reduces my anxiety especially because pushing colors around an empty white paper relaxes me. I delight in seeing the colors blend together, as I learn along the way which colors would mix best.

I'd like to think that with every time spent on painting and allowing my mind to express itself through colors, I'm able to know myself better. Instead of running away from my thoughts, I get to really mull over them as I paint. I tend to be hard on myself most of the time, and sometimes I miss out on cues that tell me I'm doing alright. It's during my painting sessions that these realizations come in.

Which is why I keep making, I keep finding inspiration in the littlest of things; it keeps me going and reminds me that art can help us in personal ways. I'm glad I stumbled upon the above candidate's "portfolio". It's these kinds of encounters that stay in my mind after a long tiring day.

---

When was the last time you attempted to make something? I'd love to hear all about it. : - )

On an even more personal note, I'm slowly getting back into my writing groove again. I've been reading through my past blog entries, and it most certainly feels like I'm having a conversation with my past self. I find it really amusing, as I'm able to reflect on my years and who I am now. One thing for sure is that it's good to look back once in a while. A few reads:

Before It Escapes Me
Small But Certain Happiness
More Time For

Last weekend, I helped my mom with cooking in the morning and I also volunteered to drive her to a dear friend's house. I took my time with chopping the ingredients and as well as with driving. As we were on the way home in the afternoon, I told her how I suck at being slow with the day's tasks that I helped with. But she reassured me, telling me it's perfectly fine, because it's not like I cook and drive everyday of my life (at least not for now); I only do these things when I have the time.

It made sense. I shouldn't be hard on myself for being slow and deliberate with the things I do. In fact, I should be glad that at least I have the ability to do these things!


I hope you're doing well, dear reader. Keep safe always. 

Follow

16 comments

  1. for some reason, i found comfort as i read through this post. i haven't been creating anything recently, but thank you for this positivity and inspiration amid the overwhelming atmosphere these days.

    take care and stay safe, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you, what with everything going on.. there's much to learn and realize during this time of uncertainty. I'm glad you were able to find comfort in these words, I truly appreciate your time. I hope you get to make something you like one of these days. :)

      Take care as well, Mariz! Stay healthy always :)

      Delete
  2. That's pretty sweet that she linked to her portfolio even though her CV does not relate to the arts at all. I've looked over a few resumes since I do some interviewing for my company, and I like seeing people's hobbies!

    I've also been trying to get back into the groove of writing and creating. I have a lot more time now that I'm WFH indefinitely because of Coronavirus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree; having a quick glance at people's hobbies at the end of their resume is nice indeed. :")

      Looking forward to see what you'll make, Mai! Please do share with us on your blog :)

      Delete
  3. I've never really thought of it that way, but I also love looking at art made by 'ordinary' people. As someone who dabbles in painting as a hobby, it's quite inspiring for me :)

    Come to think of it, it's been awhile since I last tried making something! But now that I'm at home a lot more these days, I'd love to picking up painting and baking again. By the way I hope you're doing well Anna, take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other people's art is inspiring indeed, no matter how 'good' or 'bad' they think they are, I like it all the same.

      Hope to see your works and goods one of these days, Mani! :) Please do take care and stay safe as well together with loved ones!

      Delete
  4. This post is so inspiring and is motivating me to get back into painting again! I related to so much of what you said in this post, especially when it comes to drawing inspiration from "ordinary" artists, not just what's in museums. I absolutely loved reading this, thanks for sharing! You're such a talented artist & writer! I hope you have a great weekend! :)

    melissakacar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Melissa! Thank you so much for dropping by. Hope you get to paint again some day soon :")

      Delete
  5. Your art is gorgeous! I love that you're so good at watercoloring. I am bad lol! It is great that you're taking inspiration from different places and putting them on paper. The cat is super cute. I really need to give myself time to paint. I am bad when I force myself to draw W__W/ Stay safe out there!
    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Nancy! I do find joy in painting from real life experiences. Hope you get to find some time to do the things you want to do while we're in this season of staying home :") Take care!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this, such a lovely post. Much like the candidate you mention, I have an old Tumblr page where I used to upload all of my prose and poetry. Whilst I never sent it anywhere, it was comforting somehow knowing it was there to revisit and reflect on if I ever wanted to. Your artwork is absolutely gorgeous, and so important for self expression, as well as great stress reliever. Very inspiring, tempted to get my own watercolours out(!)

    //teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to look back at past works; it's like we're taking a peek at our old selves and feeling proud of all the creative work we've managed to come up with. I bet your writings were beautiful. Thank you for dropping by, Georgia! :)

      Delete
  7. I loved reading this! I have bought some art supplies yesterday to try to be more creative, as I need something to do that's productive and good for my MH xo

    Makeup Muddle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Hope you enjoy painting, and I agree that it can be a great activity for our mental health. :)

      Delete
  8. For some reason I felt relaxed while reading this post. I never tried painting but I think I should give it a try.

    Take care! :)

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    Blog: www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should try painting! :) now more than ever is a great time to try something new. Thanks for dropping by Shaira, and take care as well!

      Delete