Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

LONDON: The National Gallery Part 2

Wednesday, August 1, 2018



I honestly liked a lot of paintings here in the gallery. I like to think that seeing all these paintings is like peering in to the hearts and minds of these painters, too.

But then I did't have the luxury of time. I sadly admit this is probably the first time too that I've been surrounded by so much beautiful art. The interiors of the gallery itself was beautiful, as if it was art itself as well, what with the different colored wallpapers and designs, the dome ceiling, and even the frames used to house the paintings.


Sharing with you all a few more paintings I liked.

Saskia Van Ulenborch in Arcadian Costume by Rembrandt (1634)


A portrait of Rembrandt's wife. She looks beautiful. I like the colors he used.

Woman With A Cat by Edouard Manet (1880-2)


I liked this because of the girl's expression and the big cat in front of her. The brush strokes are interesting to take note of; her upper half looks quite blurred into the scene.

Girl On A Divan by Berthe Morisot (1885)


The woman here looks quite relaxed. There are speculations that the woman and Berthe were good friends.


I've failed to get the title and artist's name for this one, sorry!

When you have so much to think about

Woman On A Bench by Claude Monet (1874)


I find this painting quite relaxing, what with all the green in the background



I've always wondered whether this was a hassle to wear, or if it was heavy.. or what if your neck is itchy, how would you deal with that?

An Old Woman ('The Ugly Duchess') by Quinten Massys (1513)


A satirical painting meant to depict old women who wish to recreate their youth. 

The Skiff (La Yole) by Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1875)


My sister joked around that this painting represents us, wherein she's the one rowing the boat because she's the one working so hard, and I'm the one just sitting pretty on the other side HAHA. 

A Concert by Lorenzo Costa (1485-1495)


This was probably the only painting I saw that had people singing in it.

The Four Elements: Earth by Joachim Beuckelaer (1569)


What attracted me to this painting were the vegetables. . .

The Virgin and Child with Saints by Jan de Beer (1515-20)


This is my first time seeing three paneled painting.

---


Seeing all the art in here was simply enriching for the soul. We see the lives of men and women from long before, from the imagery of artists translated onto canvas.

This place is definitely on top of my list of places I would love to go back to when I chance upon London again. :)

Read the first part of this post here.

Follow

8 comments

  1. Being surrounded by art is such an immersive experience. One of my favorite pieces is The Skiff-- I love the vibrancy of blues. :D

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | Story-Eyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice. I love the Skiff, too! :) the water looks so alive

      Delete
  2. It's always nice to check out paintings at a museum. Oh man, Rembrandt's painting is from centuries ago!!! It's amazing that the art looks so realistic and it makes me think a bit about how fashion changed over the years. Hehe, I like Manet's art because of the cat. The facepalm painting made me laugh a bit - pretty much me half of the time XD.

    Massys' painting looks interesting.. Considering how it's from 500+ years ago, it makes me wonder how people's perceptions were back then.

    Glad you enjoyed your time out there! Thanks for sharing the adventure!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to museums is one of my favorite things to do, definitely! Truly a one of a kind experience to see something centuries older than you, and to think that the way they captured it is so accurate too.. really cool! Their imagination is really something else. Thanks for dropping by Nancy ♡♡

      Delete
  3. I love looking at paintings!! I used to go galleries all the time around London :D
    I especially love looking at paintings from one of my favorite art movements like Romanticism - I love the emphasis on emotion in these artworks - and Surrealism because of the way it plays with the mind!

    - nicole / https://www.nicolesmind.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was overwhelmed here with National Gallery! It's my first time to be surrounded by such great historical works. Impressionism is probably my favorite, mainly because most of the works were of nature and landscapes.

      Delete
  4. I love art! The National Gallery has wonderful masterpieces by great artists!

    I've visited a number of times but I don't mind going again.

    Thank you for sharing your experience!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wouldn't mind going back again and again, there's so much to see and learn!

      Delete