Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

On making lots of art(with doubts) in October

Sunday, November 1, 2020

I've always wanted to participate in an art challenge, though I never really did it. I knew these challenges would come around in October each year, yet for me, it would always either be: it would slip my mind and I would feel it's too late to join, or I wasn't sure I would be able to finish or be consistent with it until the end.


This year is different, though. I felt like this time around, time was finally on my side, and I could definitely dedicate a part of my day in making art. If I were to recall my October days and describe them, you would find me coloring away with my oil pastels right after work. I chose to make art after work because it helped me transition my thoughts from work to something entirely different, and something that I was creating with my own hands. Setting aside time after work has also helped me be more consistent, because it was something I looked forward to everyday.


I have to admit though that there were days when I've had to skip, but I decided to be kind to myself and simply catch up. There were times when I've had a lot going on with my full time work, and I would have no energy or inspiration to think of what to draw or how to interpret the daily prompt, and that was perfectly fine. The last thing I wanted to do was to force myself to make something for the sake of being consistent. I always remind myself of my intention and purpose in why I started in the first place: I wanted to fill my days with colors. 


Which is why I chose to work with oil pastels, since I could create bright and colorful illustrations through this medium without giving it much thought. It takes me back to my younger days of filling in coloring books with my sister, though we were using crayons. Being free to explore and experiment with colors now brings me much comfort.




I followed along Annabelle's (CatCreature on YT!) prompts with the hashtag #artwithdoubts on Instagram. At first, I thought it felt different from other prompt names, but later on it started to make sense for me. "Art With Doubts" reflects our struggles, since it can be easy to be clouded with so much doubts whenever we make something. 


I've had my moments wherein I would show my art first to my sister, or my mom, or a friend, simply to ask their opinion about it and tell them, "I'm having doubts!". Then we do a bit of a feedback session-- "Put some more color here", "I think this would look better in a lighter shade", those were the kinds of comments I received, and openly worked on. This is the point though of the whole thing, isn't it? We have doubts but we keep making and sharing anyway. 


Once in an art class back in grade school, a classmate caught me staring at their artwork. It was a habit of mine; I loved looking at other people's drawings, much like how one would admire paintings exhibited in a museum. They looked back at me and realized I was looking intently at their work. They quickly covered it with their hands, and I asked why they had to do that. "You're making fun of my drawing, aren't you?" they assumed. I smiled and told them that it was quite the contrary; I just simply enjoyed looking at other people's creations, because we all see and process things differently. 


I guess it's only natural to feel that someone out there might make fun of us, which could contribute to our doubts. We focus so much on the thought of being made fun of, and drown out any possibility of someone actually appreciating the art we make. The mind is always preparing us for the worst, that we forget about what could go right. 





It also was definitely helpful, when I found myself in a community that carried the same feelings as I did. We all used the hashtag #artwithdoubts and it was one that I would check from time to time. I enjoyed seeing other people's art which were often linked to personal experiences or objects that held meaning to them as explained in their captions. 


Although most of the Instagram accounts there were purely for art dumping purposes, you'd be delighted to find a kindred soul from time to time, sharing a bit about themselves and why they chose to draw things the way they did. It's definitely a great feat, to think that throughout the 31 days, we may have developed our own style, or further enhanced it. No matter how you looked at it, there was progress and growth.


What's next from here? 


More art! ; - ) more colors, more nature, more of what keeps us going, and maybe that's not limited to art. May it be whatever that brings you most joy, may there be more of it.


---

This weekend is a long one for me, as it is a public holiday tomorrow in Manila, and for Japan on Tuesday. I have the liberty of taking these two days off, and it is indeed rewarding. My plan... is to have no plans and do what feels right to do at the moment. :-) 


All artworks featured here are from my Art Instagram!


Have a lovely Sunday, dear reader. 


32 comments

  1. Love your artwork, especially the first one (portrait). :) Keep going ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nikolett, thank you so so much! :) I surprised even myself on this one; I'm glad it resembled myself even just a bit :") Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  2. I've absolutely loved seeing all your art through October on Instagram! I love the look of the oil pastels. All your work is so colorful and has a child-like wonder to them. I'm so impressed that you were able to create so much and complete this challenge! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Hannah! October became all the more memorable for me because of the art prompts, and I'm glad to know they may have also brightened up someone's day, somewhere out there on Instagram. :") Thank you again, and for sure there will be more. Have a great weekend <3

      Delete
  3. Your artworks are amazing, Anna! I would totally love to make art, too, but I beat myself so hard for not being good enough. Someday, I will get the courage to start...someday. ^_^ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuu Renee! You should try making art definitely; it will always be a good hobby or form of self expression to get into. Looking forward to seeing your art ;)

      Delete
  4. the artworks are beautiful! cheers to more of your art :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kandice!! :) Please do look forward to more !

      Delete
  5. These are beautiful! I love the intention of putting more colours in your day, and loove the cat one. These would make super cute postcards!
    constantlylibby.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Libby :") I enjoyed making the cat; the prompt for that was 'Sleek' so I gave it a cute little bowtie! <3

      Delete
  6. This is nice Anna! I love you work, you are so talented. Keep it up and looking forward to more of your creations especially your instagram <3



    with love,
    Ann | http://annchoi.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann!! <3 thank you so much for your kind support; your words keep me going :") have lovely week ahead ~

      Delete
  7. I tried to do a 30 day challenge for October too but pretty much gave up before I began! I love seeing your artwork on instagram though, I feel like pastel is the perfect medium for you and it always brightens up my day! ♡ xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) I wanted to push myself this year and finally participate in an art challenge; it was definitely a great way to unwind after work. I don't think I would've been able to finish if I've had to commute to the office!

      Delete
  8. I don't do art because I'm a digital designer, not an artist BUT these are very adorable! I especially love the cat one :'3

    That is also one creative prompt, sort of a 'just let yourself draw and don't fret about perfection' kinda feel (does that make sense? haha) I also admire people who are very confident with what they love doing, even if they know that there'd be others who doubt or make fun of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elise! :) lots of people loved the cat too.. it must be the bowtie haha!

      I've struggled a lot with thinking small, with thinking ahead of what others might think, but this is probably the year when I felt it strongly that it shouldn't matter so much especially since it brings great joy. :")

      Delete
  9. I really love your artworks! I especially like the one with the white cat :) It's great that you're participating in these types of art challenges - you're so talented and I'm sure you'll improve if you keep on creating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Claudine! I always think of myself as a work in progress, so I'm definitely going to keep making more. Thank you so much for your time with me on here!

      Delete
  10. This is wonderful, Anna! you are so talented! props to your for attempting this kind of challenge right now. ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿพ

    Xx http://theactivespirit.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Disa! It definitely made me feel more confident with sharing my art out into the world :")

      Delete
  11. Love your art and I enjoyed your updates on your art Instagram page! The one with the cat has got to be the cutest one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chia! :") The cat is also one of my favorites, for sure!

      Delete
  12. Your artwork is really beautiful and has real character to it. I really adore the colors even though I am more of a pastell/neutral kinda girl. And what you said about doubt and looking at art from other people is so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kirsten! :) Colors can definitely stir our emotions, which is why I enjoy playing around with them. <3

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Erin!! <3 Never too late to try, drawing is always a good idea :) have a great weekend!

      Delete
  14. Congrats on completing the art challenge! I've really enjoyed seeing your drawings in October :) I've always wanted to participate in a similar challenge, but like you have never really found the right time for it. Hopefully I'm able to soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much, Mani!! This challenge has helped me become consistent and perhaps a bit braver to share my art. I look forward to sharing soon! And for sure, I love your watercolor drawings, and would love to see more of them <3

      Delete
  15. I love the colours you've chosen for your art! Especially love the cat piece! x

    - Eternalleigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your drawings are very cute ๐Ÿ˜Š.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your art! Well done. And participating in a challenge seems to fun. I'm really longing for some kind of art community. It seems like participating in a challenge can help finding one. I'm happy I found your blog and I'm looking forward to see more of you art journey!

    Toma | https://www.tomaruh.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Toma, thank you so much! :) indeed, participating in art challenges is fun. It feels more exciting especially when you know you're doing it together with other people. It's good to know that you love art, too! Thank you also for your time with me on here, and I'm following you on your blog as well :)

      Delete