Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

CATANDUANES ISLAND: Puraran Beach

Sunday, March 25, 2018

I don't think I wrote proper entries about my travels to Catanduanes. However I did explain it in my most recent one, Island Weekend, on why I often visit this place. I figured that I should sit down and internalize what this place really means to me, rather than talking about it non-specifically like what I did previously.




Catanduanes Island is part of the Bicol Region here in the Philippines. Whenever there are typhoons that come in the country, it almost always makes its first landfall in Catanduanes. This island is also known for its surfing spots, and one of them is a place I would often stay in, which is Puraran Beach. It's a one hour drive from Virac.

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach
Puraran Beach faces the Pacific Ocean. 


Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach

I'll have to emphasize that this beach has lots of rocks. It's really not ideal for leisure swimming. The waves here are strong as well, it's as if it can pull you away from shore any time. Just a bit further is the surfing area, where surfers are able to catch high and mighty waves.

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach

Despite the rocky landscape, the sand here is cream in color and is a bit coarse in texture.


What I like best is when it reaches the low-tide. This happens mostly from lunch time till late noon. I'm able to explore and see what's underneath, and of course I wasn't surprised to see even more rocks.

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach

Remember the two iconic rocks photo above? I walked towards it during low tide and found myself surrounded by all these... rocks. Haha!

As a child, I remember instances when I've tripped over these rocks and got wounds and scrapes on my knees and legs. It was painful then, but a funny memory for me now.


The accommodations here are simple and basic. You'll be spending your whole stay inside a nipa hut. There's also an option for air conditioned rooms if you're up for it, but most of the time the temperature is already bearable due to the continuous sea breeze. Staying here definitely feels like the beach is just your backyard.

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach

I always stay in the Pacific Surfers Paradise Resort. It's right smack at the middle, and it offers a wider view of the beach. They even offer basic English courses for those who want to enhance their English speaking skills, as well as surfing lessons.

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach
Fish! Fresh from the ocean.

There are also huts by the beach for those who like going on day trips:

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach

Catanduanes Island: Puraran Beach


Why do I admire this place so much? It's one of the beaches that has remained natural. People here let nature take its course. They allow the waves to rearrange these rocks and stones however they want. I know for sure that it's not a beach that aims to please people, but rather you take it as it is, rocks, strong waves, and all.


The best season to go here is from the months of April to October. The waves are exceptionally high on the months of November till March, and there are also higher chances of rain.

Follow

6 comments

  1. What a beautiful, raw place! I love it! Thanks for the great tips on the best seasons to go and check it out ourselves, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! This place looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place looks so beautiful! Would love to make it here someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! Makes me want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I would love to go to CATANDUANES ISLAND, the photos are so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning location! I would absolutely love to vacation on Catunduanes Island. What a tropical paradise!

    ReplyDelete