Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

5 Things I Learned To Love in 2023

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

 


I've been spending these past few days just resting and reflecting on the year that was. And now that a brand new year has come, it's another opportunity to explore and try new things or to carry over the things we've loved from the previous year (but of course, we can start anything at any time, don't wait for the new year ;-) ).  

I've tried a lot of things last year, and some have left a deep impression in me, so much that I've been wanting to share all these with you, in long form writing: 


1. Spin Classes


I was looking into losing the holiday weight I gained when I came back from Texas in January last year. I wanted to try something new and was considering signing up for the gym. I was sharing this with my friends until eventually one of them asked if I was interested in trying spin classes with her. I was hesitant at first since I heard a lot of stories about people trying it out and not enjoying it at all. It seemed challenging yet at the same time I was curious, so I gave it a try.

My first class was exhausting; I couldn't keep up with the instructor! I was drenched in sweat all over.. but strangely enough, I was happy. I actually enjoyed my first ride despite the initial thought that I might not be able to finish the whole 45 minute non-stop ride. I really liked the feeling of being able to complete the session. Since then, I continued going to spin classes. Most times after work and sometimes during the weekends and holidays.

I tried different instructors as well and I found that they all have their different styles and quirks. I learned to appreciate all of them, because they were all motivational and I never really felt the pressure I thought I'd feel to always be in sync or to cycle faster than I can manage. They always emphasize that it's definitely fine to go at your own pace, following choreography is optional, and what matters the most is to have fun and sweat. They also give out motivational speeches which I have to admit lightens up the session and gets the class hyped up even more. 

There's also that sense of community. I didn't become friends with everyone in the class of course, but there were opportunities for small talks in the locker room, or even before the session. Everyone's just so kind and energetic. The studio felt like a safe space with everyone just being themselves and cycling. I came to appreciate my own body through the process because I never really felt any judgment from anyone. We all just want to finish strong :-)

I'm no longer going to the studio for classes, but I still spin at home. I have a stationary bike and had it modified so that I would be able to clip my shoes on it and stand while cycling, just like how it's done in the studio. I may not be cycling with an instructor, with the class, and with blaring music in the room, but I still carry the same energy and passion for the activity which I see myself continuing this year!!

2. Ube


I always thought ube was a "Tita flavor", but I eventually came to love it because of my sister. She requested my parents and I to bring tubs of ube jam when we visited her and we ate it with her as well. Somehow I was influenced by her ube cravings and I found myself craving it as well when I landed back in Manila. I now have an appreciation for ube and I love it as a flavor for ice cream, cakes, dessert, and the like. 


3. Hiking



My friends and I hiked Mt. Pinatubo in December last year! It was a birthday trip for L which she planned and organized. This was my first time hiking and I didn't know how to prepare, what to prepare? But I did my research and did somehow feel prepared :") The trip included riding a 4x4 vehicle through the vast land covered in lahar which lasted for an hour, then the actual hike took us two hours.. not bad!! The view of the crater was so beautiful, so surreal. It's embedded in my brain and it will stay there rent free. 

I hope to hike more this year and experience more of nature. 


4. Selling art in a pop-up


My friend invited me to sell art in her pop-up in a cafe. It was quite last minute, but I did have that genuine curiosity of trying it out and learning the process of how it worked. So I prepared the art prints I still have in stock from my last online print selling and brought them to the event. It was a good experience and it pushed me to finally put myself out there. It's a lot of work, being a one-man team but I really do enjoy it. 

I aim to participate in more pop-ups this year. I just know that I'll be so busy with making art, creating a workflow and process, marketing myself, and all the works. Wish me luck!!


5. Making reels on Instagram


I never expected to enjoy making reels, but I now do. It's my way of romanticizing life and it's just so fun to watch mini clips of my memories. It's simply so nice to have something to look back at. It started when I wanted to document bits and pieces of my Hanoi trip. Reviewing the clips makes me feel nostalgic and grateful for moments I get to enjoy with loved ones. The process of editing, searching for the right song, and reordering clips was mostly trial and error but I love watching it all come to place in the end. 

I'll definitely be making more reels this year ;-)


---

What new things did you learn to love back in 2023? 

Will you be doing more of them in 2024? 

I'd love to know! :-) 

4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Disa! :) Wishing you a great 2024 as well~

      Delete
  2. The spin class you talked about sounds like a blast! I'd totally be up for it if they ever bring it to my area, though that seems like impossible if I'm being honest haha! Your experience, Anna, was such a fun read. I kinda miss reels tho, but I love posts more. Maybe I just have to give reels a try one more time! Also suuuuper excited about you joining pop-ups too! I wish I could swing by and give you a big hug or something <3 I'm just trying to move my body more and get more active myself – 2023 was all about sitting at my desk (ugh), but towards the end, I got into online coaches. And I guess now, I'm all about sweating it out, even at home heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lenne!! Thank you for reading :") exercise will always be a good idea and any form of it works! I think we all just have to find something that works for us, since you're right that it's all about sweating it out :) I'm glad you have an online coach. Reels are fun to record memories! Whenever I have time and feel extra creative I'll grab the opportunity to make a reel. And aw, thank you, I would give you a biiiig hug back! :D Hope you've been doing well!

      Delete