Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Strawberries, Strawberries Everywhere

Sunday, August 2, 2020



Whenever I think about the earlier months of this year, I remember some moments right away without having to think so hard or without the help of a photo reference.

A couple of moments I can recall top of mind would be that first time I took dance classes together with a couple of good friends, celebrating my grandma's 90th birthday (I created the song playlist used for the party!), and going on a road trip up north to Baguio, Philippines. 

I've gone to Baguio with my family back when I was still a small child; we would go there every summer. I've also gone up together with my church group for youth camp annually ever since I started actively serving. This trip with friends was different though, since this time around I'm grown up enough to have a say in what I want to see on our trip, and I'm able to help shape our itinerary.

One thing that I loved about that trip was the abundance of fresh strawberries that we were able to see and eat throughout the trip. As I am living in a tropical country, there are some fruits (such as strawberries) which can only grow in colder climate, and Baguio is definitely that kind of place.

Strawberry farm in La Trinidad, Benguet

Took this photo of my friend. I'm very supportive yes. 

A perfect sunny day without clouds

One of my friends on this trip was the one who suggested strawberry picking to be part of the itinerary. It was a hot sunny day, but I loved seeing the vast strawberry farms and seeing people of all ages happily picking their strawberries of choice.

My personal agenda on this trip, and I admit I was very much looking forward to, would be to buy and eat strawberry shortcake. There was a particular shortcake brand that I got to know when my work colleague brought this certain cake back from Baguio and right into our office pantry. It was from Vizco's bakery , and I remember how good it tasted :-)

Or rather, I knew I would be looking for that cake if I were to find myself in Baguio. And I thought, this trip with friends is perfect! I knew we had to buy one for ourselves.


Whenever I think of strawberry shortcake, I always remember Murakami's Norwegian Wood, so it is apt that I share the quote right here---

"I’m looking for selfishness. Perfect selfishness. Like, say I tell you I want to eat strawberry shortcake. And you stop everything you’re doing and run out and buy it for me. And you come back out of breath and get down on your knees and hold this strawberry shortcake out to me. And I say I don’t want it anymore and throw it out the window. That’s what I’m looking for.” - Midori from Murakami's Norwegian Wood


After a moment of some serious searching on Google, we found ourselves walking through the famous Session Road after finding out that the original store was located somewhere there. When we found it at last, we bought a whole cake and finished it at the end of the day when we came back home to the comforts of our bnb. We were a group of six, so it was enough for us to finish :")

I remember that night to be a particularly cold one; we bravely sat outside the patio area with our respective slices of cake in hand. We were sharing our thoughts on how nice it was to spend a few days to just think about what we wanted to do and what to eat next. We talked about how nice it was to not think about missing a deadline, or braving a commute. These were the typical thoughts of young professionals in dire need of a break, and such a break was much much enjoyed.

Every time I remember this trip, I cheer up and smile to myself. It could be the recollection of the many strawberries, the pleasant weather, the walking, the talking, or it could be all of those things at once.

Sharing with you a couple more photos from the trip, even more strawberries:


Strawberry Taho (Silken Tofu with Pearls) at Burnham Park

Strawberry ice cream outside La Trinidad farm

Strawberry champorado (rice porridge) at Le Monet Hotel in Camp John Hay, baguio

Strawberries at the Baguio dry and wet market

---

It's been raining consistently these days, which means the weather has become much cooler. I appreciate the coolness it brings, as it has helped me remember fond memories such as this one. However, I have mixed feelings too, since my time in the garden has been reduced. Whenever the sun is out for a while though, I do come out and check on the plants, crossing my fingers they didn't drown... I'm happy to share that everyone's still alive and thriving. 

It's also already August!! This marks the sixth month of working completely from home. We've been working from home twice a week since last year, but it's really just different when all the days of the week is spent just at home. I can keep myself busy, though I do miss going outside. Sometimes I even dream of it.. sometimes reality itself feels like a dream.

Take care always, dear reader. 
Follow

21 comments

  1. I went to Baguio 2 years ago (wow that was a long time ago), we were only there for a day since the fam squeeze in the trip before our flight back to Iloilo the next day. I wasn't able to visit the strawberry farm, and other cool places there, sadly. I was planning to go back there this year with friends, but I guess I have to postpone it- at least, for now.

    That strawberry shortcake looks so good!! I've seen that a lot of times on my timeline!! I'll look for that the next time I fly to Manila or Baguio, and the strawberry champorado! I was only able to try the strawberry taho. Huhu Is it weird that I don't like eating a strawberry in its fruit form? I prefer it when it's a jam, candy, yogurt, ice cream or cake. 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go to Baguio every year, since we would hold our church camp there. We would stay in one place only though, so it's been a while since I went around to the touristy places, and so I'm really glad that we were able to do so on this trip. Baguio is definitely a great place to go to with friends :") I'm excited for you, and hope that it will be one of the first trips you get to take after covid disappears!

      I totally recommend that you try out the cake! You won't be disappointed, and it's worth the hype!! The strawberry champorado was good too, it's in Camp John Hay, and Le Monet Hotel has a huge sign for it outside, you won't miss it :D I rarely ever get to eat strawberries, so whenever I have the chance I savor it.. it's not exactly my favorite fruit either, but good to have once in a while haha!

      Delete
  2. Love this post! Its so nice that you had a great trip with your friends before the covid situation took place. This makes me want to go on a strawberry-picking holiday too later. The strawberry shortcake looks delicious btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Epsita :") I'll remember it fondly because of exactly that-- the last trip we took before covid. Strawberry-picking is definitely a nice activity! And you're right, the strawberry shortcake was indeed delicious!! I rarely ever get to eat good strawberry shortcake, so it was such a great joy to be able to eat it during this trip. Thank you for your time with me on here, and take care always!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, so many strawberries and they look delicious! The shortcake looks so good, I could eat one just now! We have a pick your own place a short walk away from where I live and this post has made me want to visit there again!

    Tash // A Girl with a View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely were delicious, especially the shortcake :") ahhh it's great that you are near a farm. I hope you get to go visit soon, perhaps when all has calmed down. :) hope your week is great so far, Tash!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Anna, reading this somehow gave me joy and comfort. Reading about your memories from this trip and looking at your photos make it feel like being there as we read it. Posts like these really help a lot during this time, happy to be able to come across it!

    Love,
    Ate Han

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ate Hanna! It's simply great to remember the days when we could still freely be out and about without so much fear of getting sick.. take care always!! Let's take lots of breaks while working from home :D

      Delete
  5. Strawberry taste sour in Malaysia. I wonder what the taste of strawberry is in your country..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty much the same here in the Philippines :") strawberries really are sour in general, but I personally enjoy eating them from time to time, and I love the smell too! Thanks for your time on here, Sarah! Hope your week is great so far.

      Delete
  6. AHHHH STRAWBERRY!!! MAKES ME WANNA GO TO BAGUIO RIGHT NOW. HUHU! I MISSED TRAVELLING.

    April of: https://thepromdichic.wordpress.com/2020/08/03/adjustments/
    Instagram: @aprilnunezzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Whenever I think of Baguio, I would think of strawberries; they are very much linked together haha! Thanks for your time with me here, April :)

      Delete
  7. I'm actually not a huge fan of strawberries, but I always wanted to try picking them! 😆 That cake looks delicious though!

    https://sundaydahlias.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha indeed, strawberries are sour, but I don't mind having them from time to time! They are fun to pick, and it's a great joy to be simply surrounded by them :") The cake is the best!! <3 <3

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a strawberry post!! Love the photos, I really felt like I was right there. I had a huge obsession with strawberries earlier this summer, they're so yummy. This seemed like a really fun trip! 🤞🏼 hopefully trips will be normal again soon. Thanks for sharing doll!

    Des | https://www.itsbetterinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surely is a very strawberry post as you say! :) Thanks Des, strawberries are such lovely fruits indeed. It was a much needed break from all our office jobs, definitely, and I hope to have more trips in the future too.. Thank you for being here with me :)

      Delete
  9. It is great that you got to spend some time with your friend last weekend! Always good to catch up. I feel the same way... I had so much hope of things that I wanted to do this year. Everything just seems so uncertain and out of control. Really sucks for mentality. It is so cool that you got to visit the strawberry farm! WOW they don't mess around with the cakes and everything! Glad you enjoyed your time out!!

    Nancy ✨ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a good idea to catch up with dear friends! While everything has been pushed back indefinitely for now, we all have to cope and still make the most out of the time.. life still goes on after all :"( but I hope we'll all be much better after all this. Yes the cake was probably my favorite part of the trip haha!! Hope you're having a great weekend, Nancy!

      Delete
  10. the last time i went to baguio was 2 years ago. sadly, when we went there the strawberry farm was closed so I settled with buying berry wines instead (strawberry and blueberry wines).
    i don't think i even ate strawberries when i was there (which was weird bc i love strawberries.

    aah, this made me miss going to baguio. I'm happy you enjoyed your time there xx

    smudgeness.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm sorry the strawberry farm wasn't open while you were there :( but the berry wines sound like an interesting alternative. :o I do hope you get to pick strawberries the next time you visit! Thanks for your time with me here, Lyza! <3

      Delete
  11. I need some strawberry gelato now.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete