Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

LONDON: Portobello Road On A Sunday

Sunday, September 16, 2018


We walked here on a Sunday. I suddenly thought: wow, how fitting that I've written this entry on a Sunday too. I'm just going to say it outright that this is a post filled with colorful eye-candy houses, but I'm going to try not to bore you all! 


While walking around here, I've wondered: how do the homeowners feel about tourists taking photos of their houses and posting them on social media? Do they like it? Are they flattered? 


I like how they allow plants to grow on the walls of the houses/establishments. I'd like to think that they're not a nuisance, but a charm instead. I wonder if homeowners find this a bother?

I like this one especially. I like how even though their homes are small, there's still the effort of having a mini garden.


Pretty shades of blue! I also wondered what was inside the mind of the person who painted these houses. Was there a specific color scheme that they were following? Or they just painted as they deemed fit?



I like the pop of color with the orange and red.


You'll see this exact photo everywhere on Instagram. I'm guilty of being one of those people, and proud! >:) This is mostly where the action happens, where the Portobello Road Market comes to life on Saturdays. It's a nice perspective to see this street empty, though. So of course I was able to take a couple of decent photos of these colorful establishments. 



Aside from a couple of tourists taking their ootd shots, people we came across here were walking peacefully and minding their own business. I guess we came here to simply admire the colors, and to have a break from the all the hustle and bustle of the city.


The color play is fascinating. It was quite cloudy on a summer day, but seeing all these colors made up for it.


Another thing that Portobello is known for would be that it's lined with antique stores, left and right. They also sell lots of vintage items.... on Saturdays. ;-)


If there's one thing that I loved about this trip, it'd most likely be all the walking we had to do to get around. I like how the places are accessible through the tube or through walking. I now understand why my sister walks too fast all the time. It may not be fast for her, but she's simply developed (and maybe mastered?!) the art of walking.


Antiques! Lovely finds! All here on this road. I appreciated all the quiet, instead of being surrounded by crowds of tourists. I do understand why, and I can imagine how crowded this road can get. But for now, the road is ours.


And that's it! The Mews and Notting Hill is still quite a long walk from here. We wanted to prioritize crossing Abbey Road though, so we didn't walk further from here. But just simply seeing all these eye-candy houses and walking on an empty street was really nice for once. I'll be back ♡♡♡


Follow

16 comments

  1. I love love love all of the colorful buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors in building are my favorite! I couldn't agree more. I went on a run this morning and my favorite color as of right now is yellow.
    Simply Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portobello Road is so much fun! When I lived in London I could walk here and I loved getting food in the market and shopping around in the antique tables. Enjoy I miss it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few years ago I rented an apartment at the top of Portobello Road with my kids. We had a BALL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the different styles of architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is one of my favorite parts of London, I love the vintage market on Sundays!
    http://www.layersofchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful! I want to go to London SO badly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Notting Hill, I go back every time I visit London! Can't stop visiting Granger & Co for brunch :) Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe I've been to London a ton of times but never been on Portobello Road. Thank you for sharing this photo essay - the area looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so beautiful, makes me more eager to plan that visit to London than ever before(vidya tiru)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love Portobello Road! I miss living in London, that was such a great time :)
    Have a lovely day!
    xx, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the buildings with different colors, no cookie cutters. Seems like a very lovely neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So colorful, and it looks wonderful against a grey sky. I looooove the gardens, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been many times in London but I still haven't visited Portobello Road! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how peaceful Portobello road looks. I feel like it can be flattering if people take pictures of the homeowner's house. At the same time, it can introduce a risk that they may have valuable things to steal. I love how the trees and branches hug the walls of the houses. Glad you enjoyed your walk!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything looks amazing! Thanks for sharing that post ♥ That's great you enjoyed your walk on Portobello Road ♥ All the the buildings are fantstic, such lovely colours!!

    ReplyDelete